Buy It: Barnes and Noble
Add It: Goodreads
Website: Mira Grant
My Rating: 5 out of 5
Warning: some explicit language (a few f and b words, and a consistent use of damn and hell).
Warning: some explicit language (a few f and b words, and a consistent use of damn and hell).
"Kellis-Amberlee is a fact of existence. You live, you die, and then you come back to life, get up, and shamble around trying to eat your former friends and loved ones. That's the way it is for everyone." -Feed
Synopsis: Georgia and Shaun Mason are bloggers in a world that has been invaded by a disease; turning those who die into what the world comes to know as zombies. Georgia reports the truth: stories with facts and facts alone. This makes her a Newsie. Shaun, on the other hand, is a little more daring. He likes to provoke the zombies, almost get killed, and then post the footage for the world to enjoy. He is what the blogging community calls an Irwin. The siblings, along with their techie, Buffy, have been given the opportunity of a lifetime; they have been asked to follow the presidential campaign (becoming the first bloggers to do so...ever). As they set out though, they find that Kellis-Amberlie (the disease that turns everyone into zombies) and the presidential campaign are not what they seem. There are dark secrets to be uncovered, and they intend to do just that, but at what cost?
My Thoughts: Don't expect your typical zombie novel. This book is filled with political scandal, medical terminology, and a dark question- who are the true monsters...the zombies, or the humans? I loved this book. I listened to it on tape in my car, which was great (I loved the voices). I haven't stopped thinking about the book in days. I bought the second one on my nook immediately and can't wait to start it. I would recommend this book to 16+, just because of the dark themes and bloody imagery. This book is not for anyone with a queasy stomach. At times, the writing was a bit tedious (Georgia has to tell us about the blood tests she receives at least once every ten pages) but I enjoyed the author's attention to detail. It's what made me fall in love with the characters! Shaun and Georgia's relationship was especially touching. Overall, I though the book thoroughly entertained me and really made me think.
Quotes: “The difference between the truth and a lie is that both of them can hurt, but only one will take the time to heal you afterward.” -Georgia Mason
“Our story opens where countless stories have ended in the last twenty-six years: with an idiot -- in this case, my brother, Shaun -- deciding it would be a good idea to go out and poke a zombie with a stick to see what happens.” -Georgia Mason
“That,' he said, with almost religious fever, 'was the coolest thing you have ever done. In fact, that may have been the coolest thing you ever will do. Your entire existence has been moving toward one shining moment, George, and that was the moment when you thought, 'Hey, why don't I just go over the zombies?” -Shaun Mason
No comments:
Post a Comment